Notary Public Blog & Podcast of Sonita M. Leak, CNSA | I’m ‘Single’ and I Have the Affidavit to Prove It

Reposted on Wednesday, May 16, 2018

Greenville, SC

A caller traveling to Germany, called into our notary line early afternoon on March 8, 2018.

Gentleman: “My fiancee and I were referred to you by Un-named Mail Center in Greenville, they said that maybe you can help me.”

Me: “Okay sir, how can I help you?”

Him: “Well here’s our situation. My fiancee and I are getting married in Germany after we arrive there, however, to get married in Germany, there must be a completed affidavit that shows that you’re single.”

Yes, sometimes you have to tell governmental agencies that you are in fact single, not married, divorced or that you have never been married.

For instance, when you sell a house, along somewhere in the sales paperwork will be a Marital Affidavit.

I am in no way an attorney, however, depending on your state’s laws, any party that you were married to during the course of ownership of property or anyone who you may have become married to while owning property (or divorced), they may have interest in the property you’re trying to sell.

Should you have any questions as to whether you need to complete a marital affidavit or single person’s statement, contact your attorney and reference your state laws.

Your local Greenville and Upstate, South Carolina Notary Public,

Sonita M. Leak

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.